Monday, September 14, 2009

"Vegged Out" Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

I don't know about you ,but black beans are probably my favorite bean. I need to go pick up some more black beans and pumpkin. But when I do I will be making this on for sure! Sorry I may not have a picture with this one. I am actually hand typing the entire recipe here. And the only picture is in our local paper her, and I don't think it will scan in very well.

Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup-makes 8 servings
1 Tbs. olive oil
5 Green Onions, thinly sliced, set aside darker green part for later
1 Red bell Pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped-(tip for peeling whole garlic clove:smack with side of knife to crush it lightly and it will peel real easy)
1&1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz. can of  100% pure pumpkin
1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, undrained(no salt added variety preferred
14 oz. oz. vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
salt to taste
pinch of ground cayenne pepper

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add white & light green parts of green onion, bell pepper,and garlic; cookwhile stirring occasionally for 4 to 5 min. Stir in cumin & thyme, cook for another minute. Add beans , pumpkin, ,  tomatoes and their juice, veg. broth and water. Bring ring all to a boil the reduce heat to a simmer.Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. garnish with reat of green onion

Sorry but the source I got this recipe from did not have serving portions, so I cannot post the Nutritonal Info.

P.S- I think for myself I would add some diced up yellow onion to this also

No comments: