Friday, April 16, 2010

Antipasto Salad



Antipasto Salad



Whenever I have leftover green beans I make some sort of "antipasto salad". It is so easy and I change it up every time, depending on what I have in the larder.

The main ingredients that are a must are the cooked green beans, salami and red onion. The rest of the components are up to you. Use whatever canned or jarred beans/peppers you have on hand.

This is terrific served on a buffet as a first course, and is great any season.

Here is how I made it this week.

Antipasto Salad:

1 lb. cooked green beans, halved
some good Italian salami, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 red pepper, chopped (you can use roasted peppers too)
1 jar of marinated artichokes, drained
1 can garbanzo beans (ceci, chick peas)
1 jar of Lupini beans, pop skins off (these are a pain, but so delicious)

If you don't want to use the Lupini beans, which are cured in brine, and pretty salty, then use kalamata olives instead.

red wine vinegar & good olive oil, salt and black pepper

Mix all ingredients in bowl and make dressing as per your taste. I like more vinegar than oil in this one.



Tomorrow, I will add a can of Italian tuna fish packed in oil to this salad.
A healthy and low fat lunch, and boy do I need it!

No comments: